16.3.07

.-- .- ... - .

Sachs Duomatic Two-Speed



Yesterday I took one of the bikes I tend to Bike Pirates to replace the warped front wheel. This bike is an old separable bike my parents had in their garage when I was growing up. Its headtube says Luxus Sport 72, and the downtube says Splitbike, but I haven't come up with much on it. The best part of the bike though is the rear wheel. The hub is a Sachs two Speed Duomatic hub. 2 speeds? Awesome. You change gears by wheeling the pedals back, just like you stop with a coaster brake. Super fun, but a bit hard to enjoy on this tiny tiny bike. But back to bike pirates. The front rim was one of those old pitted ones that are like cheese graters for brake pads and it was warped to an intolerable extent. I had my eye on a nice bmx wheel to replace it but of course the axle diameter was too large. Eventually I had to settle for a crunchier wheel of similar vintage (I think they had the same hubs) and I then moved on to the brakes. There were few long reaching caliper brakes and all the ones that were newish, shiny and not bent were missing hardware and I didn't have the time to rummage through a bunch of stuff to find bolts that fit. So. On went some old ugly ones. Left the same lever on, even though I wanted to change it. Anyway, the brakes work as well as they did before and the bike rides nicer with the new wheel. And now we have another ridable bike.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

BICYCLES! BICYCLES! YAY!
Good JibbY!

10:36 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home